How to make a picture look like it was hand drawn, using Photoshop.

1. Make 1 copy of you picture layer after opening it by going to Layer > Duplicate Layer.

2. Next you will want to change to blending mode for the top layer to Color Dodge.

3. Next you want to hit Ctrl + I to invert the colors of the photo.

4. Next go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur.

5.  Now mess around with the radius bar and get the number that looks good for you. 2.2 is what I selected.

6.  Now you will need to make a adjustment layer for Hue/Saturation. As shown below.

7. Now make the Saturation equal to 0 and check the box that says Colorize.

8. Now you are done and your picture should look like it was hand drawn. Here are my results.

Helpful criticism is always accepted. Just let me know what you think.

12 Responses to “Digital Tutorial #3”

1. Amy says:

This is sweet. Next time I have any type of art project, I’m using this technique and saying I drew it myself.

2. Kevin Cherniawski says:

Wow that is really impressive. Your blog posts make me really want to get Photoshop. I like how each of your posts revels a new and interesting technique to edit pictures.

3. Jenn says:

This is really cool! I kind of want to grab a bunch of colored pencils and start coloring. It’s amazing how much you can do with one photo.

4. Jim says:

I’m enjoying these tutorials and I want more. Also, are these exercises you already did in Prof Jesionowski’s course? Or are they new elements of Photoshop you are picking up? Where and how did you learn about them?

5. knero says:

The tutorials are things I learned a little about in Prof J’s class, but I research them more to improve my Photoshop abilities.

6. karen says:

This is really cool! I think you broke down the steps very clearly, one by one. The picture also looks great at the end!

7. Sadie says:

if I had my 4 dollars for every time in childhood I decided (stupidly) that it was a good investment to get those color-pencilly drawings at the mall, I could buy photoshop and get much better results!

Thanks for showing me how in case I do someday recover financially from childish investments and buy photoshop 😉

8. Jim says:

Kyle,

Where did you research them> Any links to sites that are resources for you would be a great additional to these tutorials.

9. administrative assistant says:

Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!

10. Trisha Graap says:

Extremely post. I just stumbled upon your blog and also wanted to assert that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed combined with I hope you piece of content once again shortly.

11. Enedina Gasque says:

Along with entry. I just stumbled upon your blog and additionally wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed in addition to I hope you blog post continually soon.

12. forex platform says:

Thanks for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.