For this post I wanted to show everyone how to get the “Sin City Effect” on a picture, which is turning everything black and white except one object. I got a picture off of Jim’s Flickr of kids playing soccer and decided to make everything black and white except their shirts.
1. Open Adobe Photoshop and open the picture you want to work with.
2. Double-click on the Background layer in the layers tab and then click “Ok”
Now where it said “Background” it should now say “Layer 0”
3. Now click on “Layer 0”, make sure its highlighted and go to Layer –> Duplicate Layer
4. Make sure you click on the “Layer 0 copy”.
5. Now go to Layer –> Layer Mask –> Reveal All
6. Click back on “Layer 0” and go to Image –> Adjustments –> Channel Mixer, and check the Monocrome box
7. Now click on “Layer 0 copy”
8. Now use the eraser and erase everything in the picture that you do not want to be in color. You can adjust the size of the eraser brush as shown below
Hint: you can click the eyeball next to a layer on the bottom right box to make that layer become invisible if that will help you.
I wanted to do this because I have seen friends on Facebook do the same and I thought it was really cool. If anyone has any questions on any of the steps let me know. Also, if anyone tries this I would like to see it in a comment on this post if that is possible. Thanks in advance for any feedback you have.